Thursday, January 6, 2011

Normal Canning...Times Ten

Times 10?

My poor tired aching feet might beg to differ.

More like 100 they think.

My dad has mega connections.

He arranged for delivery of another "box" of apples, just like last year.

Did I mention that the box contained 1000 pounds of apples?

Here they are in all their appley goodness...
Purdy, no?
Thankfully we still had the strainer that Dad attached a motor to (yes, my arm thanks him) and the apple cutter that he engineered using a tire pump.

Yes...he's a genius.

Why couldn't I have inherited that gene?

My mom came out two days and worked tirelessly.

Her energy is amazing.

She did most of the stirring at the stove.

Can I just tell you how nice it was to have my canning buddy back?

I sure missed her during peaches/pears.

She was fighting a lil thing that we refer to as cancer.

But she kicked it in the butt.

Here we are working away in the kitchen.
I would be amiss if I didn't mention that Corey, Michael, Joseph and Timothy also worked really hard...the entire time...without complaining.

Frankly, I'm suspicious. I'm still waiting to hear what it is that they want.

Here is the finished product.

All nice and neat in the locked pantry.

Kidding...we really do let the kids eat the food we can.

I just wish they would slow down.
Final count?

Drum roll.....

325 quarts...

In two days...

A new record for us.
Whew!

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

1. Congrats to your Mom on kicking cancer's butt.
2. Love the huge crate of apples. Purdy indeed.
3. Wow! That is amazing... 325 quarts.

Jensamom23 said...

Holy Moley! I am super impressed.

Nike@ChooseToThrive said...

You are my hero. I wish I had that energy ... and connections ... and helpers!

Jut and Char said...

All I can say is Wow!! I was listening to the radio today and I heard about a reusable canning lid. I got the website and I checked it out. You might be interested. http://reusablecanninglids.com/ I might have to order a few to try.
Char