Friday, April 23, 2010

Beans, beans, the musical fruit...

Am I the only one who learned the "Musical Bean" song as a child?

My dad used to sing it...

Beans, beans, the musical fruit.
The more you eat, the more you toot.
The more you toot, the better you'll feel.
So, lift your leg and let them peel.

Ah....

Childhood memories.

Did I ever mention that I was kind of a tomboy?

Anywhoo...

Fast forward to the present day.

My family loves beans.

This was a major factor in our decision to put the teenage boys up in the third level.

Where you can't see them or smell them.

But...

Back to beans.

Do you know you can replace butter in your recipe with bean puree?

Yep, I don't lie. on this one anyway

I take small white beans (mine were Great Northern beans) and follow the package directions in cooking them.

Once they are all cooked up, I stick them in my food processor (blender works too) and puree them until they look like butter.

Talk about saving money and tons of fat grams!

I replace the butter in my recipes with a 1:1 ratio. So far, I have tried it in pancakes and my banana bread recipe and I have been thrilled with both results!

You can also freeze the bean puree, either in 1 cup measures (in ziplocs) or in larger containers if you will be doing a lot of baking.


If you are not used to eating a bunch of beans you might be "musical" for awhile.

But you can always sing along.

Happy cooking!

7 comments:

Twee Poppets said...

Stopping by from New Friend Friday. I'm following you now! Hope you can stop by and follow me, too. :)

http://tweepoppets.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/tweepoppets

By the way, I'm starting a NEW BLOG HOP!!! It's called Tuesday Tag-Along, and it premieres this coming Tuesday! I hope you'll be there to join in the fun!



That's a great idea, replacing butter with beans! Is the taste affected? Butter just seems to make everything taste so good... :)

Rose @ Confessions of a Curbshopaholic said...

I remember that song, only the last line in these parts was different. We said 'so eat your beans at every meal' I like your Dad's version better!
Thanks for the tip, but I
don't think I'll be trying this substitution for myself. Beano is already a staple in my purse.
I don't have a third level to be banished to, just the roof!
;)

Ronda Batchelor said...

I love your blog, I thought I had a big family , only six kids. Thanks for all the great tips to help.

The House Creative said...

Stopping in from New Friend Friday. Your post made me laugh. I know the musical fruit song too, but mine had a different ending. :)
Great tip on the beans for butter! I am always trying new ways to make our meals healthier!

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Becky,
Today I will be posting my NTT HIGHLIGHTS and yes…you have been highlighted at Coastal Charm! I hope you will take my cute little starfish button and post it on your blog. Thank you for coming to my party with your NIFTY THRIFTY treasures and I hope you have a wonderful weekend.
Blessings,
Linda

Rachel said...

Dropping in from New Friend Friday!! Love your blog! It sounds like you have a lot of adventures! And I thought coming from a family of 6 was a lot!!

Hope you have a great weekend!!

:)
Rachel
http://averyfan.blogspot.com/

Katie said...

Yeah...we totally sang that song. In fact, last night Mark and I were having burritos and as we were making them, that song was running through my head.