Sunday, April 25, 2010

Pancake recipe and some cooking mumbo jumbo

In case you can't tell...

I've been on another cooking push lately.

I have a bunch of frozen meats out in the freezers, which I am grateful to have.

But, a turkey, frozen solid, when dinner time comes a rollin' around, is not much help.

I did an inventory of all my meats and planned on how to best use them. I also figured out how much frozen bananas, shredded carrots, shredded zucchini and squash puree I have left. I don't want any of them left when the new crop comes on so I formulated a baking plan.

I am planning on cooking a bunch of our favorite recipes and some new ones too, and then checked my cupboards to see what I already had for ingredients.

Then, a shopping I went, to grab the ingredients that I was lacking.

I'm full steam ahead cooking.

One of the things that I cooked up was pancakes.

These freeze really well and can just be popped in the toaster for a quick breakfast.

I use the extra large ziplocs and cut a bunch of freezer paper to fit in between layers. When the bag gets emptied, it is put back in the freezer for storage until I need it again. I use them for french toast too.

Here is the recipe, which I have modified a bunch of times. The quantity feeds my entire family with leftovers, just so ya know. In other words...it's a whole lotta hotcakes.

Our Favorite Pancakes

8 c. whole wheat flour
1 c. honey
1/3 c. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
2 t. salt
8 eggs
6 c. milk (I make instant milk for this, it's cheaper)
4 c. plain yogurt
1 1/3 c. bean puree

You can substitute:

Sugar for the honey and then omit the baking soda
Sour cream for the yogurt
Butter for the bean puree

You can also add blueberries, either fresh or frozen.


Also, I want to thank you all for your sweet, funny and informative comments. You guys seem like such a fun bunch and I can't wait to finish my cooking so I can check out your blogs.

Happy Cooking!

2 comments:

Cara @ Gardenview Cottage said...

keep 'em coming! i love all these great ideas you are throwing at us!!!

raveninthewolfden said...

I am your 200th follower! thats wonderful! I found your blog from blog browsing, and so glad that I did.

Have a great day!