Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Diving

No, this is not a swimming post.

It's about another kind of diving.

The dumpster variety.

Every night, Corey and I go for a walk. Every night Sometimes, we happen by the dumpster at the back of a local thrift store. I'm not naming any names, but I will give you a hint. It starts with a G, ends with a L and has oodwil in the middle.

Every day, they fill up their dumpster with stuff that hasn't sold or that is not good enough to put out in the store.

I pick up things there frequently, if I see them peeking over the top...or calling my name.

This last weekend, I purposely drug Corey through the alley we happened by the dumpster only to view the cutest little piano bench that you ever did see, sitting, looking ever so sad right next to the dumpster.

I'd been looking for a cute little table to put on my front porch and images of this little bench with flower pots on it instantly came to mind.

We said "Oooohhh!", rushed right over and lovingly picked it right up. Since my husband was totally on board with this he carefully tucked it under his arm and carried it all the way home.

Ok, so I'm totally lying.

It went more like this:

Me: "Oooohhh!"

Him: "You have got to be kidding me."

Me: "Please!" (batting my eyelashes at him and turning on the womanly charm) Just look at the poor table, sitting on death row. I think we can rehabilitate her. She deserves a second chance."

Corey- "Sigh...." (This is the part where I received the lecture about bringing home things that we didn't really need and....yadda yadda yadda...blah blah blah... I'll spare you the details)

He then picked up the bench aka cute little porch table and carried it all the way home.

I just love it when I get my way.

I'm sure the bench considered herself as having received a stay of execution.

Little does she know that I have nine kids.

Otherwise, she might have wished to stay in the dumpster.

Here she is, sitting on the front porch waiting for a make over.

Please excuse the siding-pieces messy goodness going on in the background as I was too lazy to move it before taking a picture.

I can't help but wonder about the history of this bench. Was it actually used as a piano bench? I wonder how many people sat on the bench and played their hearts out.

I love thinking about it.

Just look at the cute little details on the legs...

Unfortunately, it had been damaged and someone had tried very unsuccessfully to fix it.

They had hammered a bunch of wavy little metal thingies into the bench.

That had to hurt...

And all the nails had split the wood in several places.

Plus, the hinges were missing parts.

First I had to unfix the "fix".

I removed all the nails that I could, took off the broken hinges, unattached the chain and ripped out the little wavy metal thingies.

Just look at all the stuff we removed from the victim.

I then took her apart and fixed the original boo-boo.

Wood glue and clamps were essential.

After it had dried, I reassembled the table and got ready to reattach the top.

Since I knew that we were not going to use it as a piano bench, and did not care if the top opened, I glued the top piece on with Liquid Nails.

I then screwed the piece on, just to make sure it wouldn't go anywhere.

I sunk the screws down just a bit and filled the holes in with Wood Filler.

When I realized that the scratches on the top were worse then my stretch marks, I took pity on "Benchie" and filled in the worst ones with more Wood Filler.

Wish I could do that with my stretch marks too...

One of my twins took "Benchie" out to the garage and sanded her down.

For some reason that almost sounds inappropriate but I assure you that it wasn't.

I then gave her a layer of primer.

Then on went several coats of Heirloom White by American Accents.

A little distressing and some glaze...

Let me clarify that I am an amateur. As in, I really don't know what I'm doing.

So, if you are a professional painter, this may be like food poisoning for your eyeballs.

Don't look too close.

Or, if you do, close one eye first.

Here she is...

Her legs still need a little bit of work.

And I almost feel like a hypocrite saying that.

They are just a bit wobbly and I'll have Corey even them up.

Ok...

One more picture of her reformed goodness...

Isn't she purdy?


I'm linking to these great parties for more love...

58 comments:

Kristy said...

You totally amaze me with your craftiness. I am truly in awe at some of your projects.

Amanda said...

Fabulous find! It's amazing what even thrift stores will throw out, isn't it?

Annie said...

I wouldn't do another thing to "Benchie"!!! I like the rustic look of her (him?) -- especially since he (she?) will be on the porch. :0) SOOOO Good!

Fawnda@Fireflies and Jellybeans said...

WOW! That turned out AMAZING! I love it! :)

Jut and Char said...

All of your front porch makeover ideas are really inspiring me to spruce up my boring front porch.

Patti @ Pandoras Box said...

What a great find and it came out just wondeful....never thought about what the thrift store do with the items that don't sell - I'll have to drive around the back of our store for a peek!!

Lisa B. said...

I can't believe how much "stuff" was in her! What a wonderful makeover.

Jane said...

First off, I read the dialog between you and your dh with such a familiar laugh. Is your dh my dh's secret twin twice removed??? I get that same blah, blah, yadda, yadda" lecture all the time. Then I bat my eyes and do what I want. In the end dh loves the stuff I come up with. But the process freaks him out a bit. LOL The bench turned out great. So glad it found a loving home!

Jane@Little House of Projects said...

I love it! You need to remind your husband that every item you take home and love is one less item in the landfill :)

Rose @ Confessions of a Curbshopaholic said...

I'm with Jane, our husbands must have gone to the same husband prep academy, cause I KNOW that lecture by heart!!! Only I've never been able to get him to actually assist me in picking up something.
Laughed so hard about the stretch marks on the table! Love how you think!
I think that bench is the perfect thing for your porch, and you did such an amazing job on it. Kudos.
Rose

Cassie Bustamante said...

oh i would have gon ein head first for that, too! it looks fantastic! those husbands just don't have the "vision" like we do. :) it really looks just perfect on your porch. and the best finds are the ones that come right from the trash.... they are free, and you are protecting our earth at the same time! great work!

Stacey said...

This is amazing! I love it at the front door. How sweet and welcoming. I also need a piano bench.....hmm. Never thought of dumpster diving!

Nike@ChooseToThrive said...

Oh I am in love! It turned out amazing. How you can tackle a project with nine amazes me (my crew has me seriously whooped right now). You rock.

Goings on at the Glenn's said...

very cute! I think you did a fine job! I love treasures like that and way to go with putting up with your hubby's lecture. I would probably buckle and say fine we won't get it and then stew over it for hours picturing what could have been.

KimMalk said...

Very cute - how you ever had the patience to deconstruct that...

Ginger said...

Wonderful idea! Who knew that "oodwil" had such amazing treasures in the dumpster? Fun!

Kansas Amy said...

What a find! And it's beautiful!

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

Well, yes indeed...isn't it purdy!

great job remaking a dumpster bound bench into a lovely table.

Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures said...

What a great save. You made it beautiful. Love it on your porch.

AngelMc said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
AngelMc said...

I love what you did with the piano bench. And I love that you said purdy instead of pretty. I always say purdy, because purdy is purdy and pretty is pretty. Enjoyed your blog, come over and visit me sometime.

Katie said...

I go walking during early in the morning during seminary with Peggy, Sandy, and Lindi.(Yes, I do think I'm crazy) Every morning we walk by your house and yesterday we were admiring your front porch. It is really looking fabulous.

trish said...

You are so lucky to have found such a diamond in the rough! :o) You did a super job on bringing new life into it! I love the color and touches you added.
Sincerely ~ Trish

Mary Beth @ Live. Laugh. Make Something said...

a. maze. zing!!! big hug for that one... It is absolutely delightful! I love stopping by to see what you're up to! See you next week!

Jensamom23 said...

What a great job! Looks adorable!

Sherri said...

I love it! She is beautiful now. Great 'save' and so pretty on your porch. I like the rustic look.

Unknown said...

Your hard work payed off! Looks fantastic! Would you please join us for our ANYTHING RELATED party on Tuesdays?
~Rebekah

Unknown said...

i pretty sure the hubs and i have had that exact same conversation. i think the table looks great. good job. your fam is beautiful! come visit and enter my very first giveaway for a pottery barn giftcard and some of my designs at www.barefeetonthedashboard.blogspot.com.

Crista said...

I am once again in awe at your cleverness! I think I see another one of your "saves" sitting on top, do I not?

Julie said...

Great transformation!

Tracey @ My House of Giggles said...

Oh my goodness!! You did an awesome just on that little bench. I'm really impressed by your "prep" work and repair job! I wish I was as skilled at that (read: I wish I had more patience)...hehe. I tend to just jump in and paint prematurely. Please come on over and link up at my Tuesday TALENT SHOW :)
http://myhouseofgiggles.blogspot.com/

Kaysi said...

What a great transformation!! I love the color and detail of the legs! Great job!

Angie Holden said...

Gorgeous makeover and the perfect porch table!!

Magic Brush said...

Ok, so I claim to be a professional and that was LOVELY to my eyes! You did her up well! Great job!!!!!!!!

Stop by my painting blog and say hello sometime!

Blessings,
Jennifer

Unknown said...

Hey there! Stopping by from TGC...I love what you did with this table! I have about 17 pieces, ok I exaggerate, maybe 6 that I would LOVE to give new life to, but I am terrified to do it! But looking at this I am inspired...

Kathleen said...

She has the same shapely legs as my piano...I wonder if they were separated at birth?
Cute blog and fantastic make-over!

Amber said...

Wow that is an amazing piece that you salvaged! Imagine if that had gone to the dump?! Good work! I love it! It looks like it took a lot of work, but well worth the effort!

Grannys Attic said...

I want to go "Diving" with you next time. That is just amazing and it looks for good on your porch. Blessings, Vicky

Unknown said...

I love your rescued piano stool. She is so lovely now! What a great job and she looks gorgeous on the porch. I came by your blog via My House of Giggles and I really enjoyed reading your post it made me laugh and brightened my day. xx

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
aklatina said...

Wow Nice snag! in AK, that would sell in the before stage for 20 bucks second hand :( i would Pee myself if i found it on deathrow!!! What a sweet makeover!

Unknown said...

Your project is fabulous!
I would have gotten that too!!
Thanks for linking to 2nd Time Around!

Creations By Cindy said...

What an awesome redo! I love it. I too would love to know the history on the bench! Be blessed. Cindy

Anonymous said...

You sure are funny. My aunt had 9 kids and couldn't keep the dishes washed or clean laundry folded. I'm really impressed. That is the cutest! Great job.

Red Door Home said...

Great find! Nothing beats free and cute. Nice work fixing it up.

Unknown said...

WOW...Im not even sure what to say! You did an AMAZING job not only fixing this but making it SO pretty! LOVE LOVE LOVE it! GOOD JOB! Wish we ladies could do that to our bodies huh! hehe Thanks SO much for linking up to Anything Related!
~Bridgette

bj said...

Girl, you did an amazing job...this is really great.

Victoria said...

Before I comment on the amazing job you did I have to tell you that post was so funny! You gave me a good laugh:)

I love your bench! It looks gorgeous! I re-did a piano bench several months ago and we use it as our coffee table now. I love the legs on yours!

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

You go girl...luv your FREE find! The makeover looks GREAT.

Blessings,
Linda

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

wow! I love your old (new) bench! You did a great job repairing and painting it!
I read your entire frozen food post. Because I live alone, I freeze a lot of things too. I found your post very educational!
Thanks for visiting and commenting on my giant faux clock! You're too kind!
gail

Laura said...

She sure is pretty. Great find!

I would love it if you joined my "Saturday is Crafty Day" party starting on April 24th! Stop by my blog for details.

Sawdust Girl said...

You really had to perform major surgery on that thing but it turned out sooo cute. Great job!

Stacey said...

You are totally amazing! I love what you turned this into. It looks fabulous!! Thanks for sharing at 'Look at me, I'm SO Crafty!' at Fun to Craft!

amy said...

Great job, it looks beautiful. Much better, who would have thought that it could be so pretty.

Jamielyn said...

This is amazing! Thanks again for linking up! I featured you over at iheartnaptime.blogspot.com! Hope you'll come back next week!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Such a cute project. I featured it today!

XOOX
Jen
{tatertots & jello}

Unknown said...

Stopping over from NTT...Congrats on your feature!!! She sure is purdy!! You did an awesome job and I thoroughly enjoyed your post :)

I would l-o-ve it if you would stop by Shop Your House Wednesday next week at Dirty Hands, Beautiful Life

Oh...and I'd love to go for a walk with you :)

Joselyn said...

Found you via The Shabby Chic Cottage. So glad I did because you are funny. I lauhed all the way through. Phenomenal job; what a transformation!