I was hoping that it was a good one.
I bought some old brass lamps from GW for cheap.
Here is the smallest of the lot.
And holy crap, my french doors are covered with crayon graffiti and fingerprints.
I knew that I would need something for the top so I picked up some drapery ends at Lowe's.
There were 2 in a pack and they were on clearance for $8.
I dismantled the lamp and threw the guts away.
I had picked up some Plaster of Paris to use as a weight.
I turned the base upside down and filled it up partway and then left it to dry overnight.
Because I was gluing metal parts together and they are nonporous, I needed a special kind of glue.
JB Weld is available in the automotive department of Walmart and costs less then $5.
Both tubes come in the package.
You mix together equal parts from both tubes and then spread the mixture on the surfaces that you want glued together.
It is some sticky stuff.
I glued all the parts back together and the drapery finial on top.
I left it to dry overnight.
The next day, I roughed it up with a bit o' sandpaper.
I then primed it with the cheap spray primer from Walmart.
I wanted it to look like it was made out of rock so I bought a can of American Accents Stone Spray paint.
There are other brands that are cheaper but they don't produce as chunky of paint as American Accents.
I used the Granite color but there are several other colors too.
I gave it a couple of different coats, several hours apart and then let it dry overnight.
Here is the finished product.
I have several other lamps, of various shapes and sizes that I'm working on.
Hopefully when I'm all done, my porch will actually look cute.
Until my toddlers are let loose outside, that is...
Lots of parties to link too-check them out for lots of inspiration!