When I saw this beautiful piece of art in your store, I just knew I had to have it.
The way each square was different but the vine was continuous throughout the whole picture just made my lil heart go pitter pat.
Please don't be offended that I refused to pay $139.99 and chose, instead, to make it myself.
Instead, find satisfaction in the fact that copying someone is the highest form of flattery.
I needed 9 feet of window casing and 12 feet of screen molding. I bought the cheaper MDF moldings, which are already primed white.
The moldings didn't even come to $10.
For the background, I purchased a 4 ft by 8 ft sheet of 1/4" (I think it was mahogany) board and had it cut down to a 3 ft by 3 ft board.
The entire sheet cost $19 and I have scraps for another project.
The papers came from a scrapbooking book entitled "Complete Boy". There were 180 papers in the book (3 of each design) and there were so many that I loved that I had a really hard time narrowing it down to 9.
After my coupon, I ended up paying $10 for the book.
I modpodged down one piece at a time.
A thin layer of modpodge on the board, a thin layer on the back of the paper and then put them together.
Carefully, work out the air bubbles as they appear. Take your time on this step, because you don't want bubbles in your finished project.
I put several long strips of waxed paper over the whole project and then took a sharpie and drew out where I wanted my design to be.
If you are super crafty, you could probably just paint the black vine on, but, since I don't trust myself AT ALL, I needed to make a pattern.
I then took 9 squares of black scrapbooking paper (already had these) and taped them together.
I then put my wax paper over the black squares and used that as a guide as I cut out the vine.
I found that cutting it out using the wax paper pattern really made the vine "flow" and made it look like it was all one piece.
This step was somewhat time consuming and Corey helping me made this much easier.
After the vine was cut out, I modpodged each piece on.
After the vine had dryed, I used a paintbrush to apply a thin layer of modpodge over the entire thing.
I then went back with a chunky, toddler paintbrush and created "swirls" over the whole picture.
The window casing was then cut to fit and glued together.
The corners were stapled too, just to ensure that it stayed together.
After the frame was painted black (American Accents Canyon Black), the main board was turned over and stapled through the back, into the frame.
The screen moldings were painted black, cut to fit and then glued on with Liquid Nails.
Wire was used on the back to hang it with.
Believe me when I say...If I can make this, anyone can.
It was that easy.
And it only cost $40.
(If you didn't already have the modpodge, black spray paint and black scrapbooking paper, you would probably end up spending an additional $10.)
Come and check out the parties that I link too-lots of inspiration there!