Tuesday, February 2, 2010

I have come over to the "D"ark side

But "D" does not stand for dark.

It stands for distressed.

I was never really a fan of distressed stuff.

Why would I take something nice and make it look old and beat up?

My kids do this the natural way.

I had jokingly said that if people wanted to distress something, I'd pay them to take loan them my nine kids and they would take care of it in no time.

But, then I saw a distressed finial in the Pottery Barn catalog. It was so stinkin cool, but, unfortunately, it was $39.

I just couldn't bring myself to spend $39 on an old beat-up piece of wood.

But, then I came across the perfect chunky, old, beat-up piece of wood at my main squeezie, Goodwill. It was $2.99

Be still my beating heart...

It was missing a finial, which made me feel very sorry for it.

So, I marched myself over to Michael's Crafts and picked one up for $3.

Here are the two pieces, side-by-side.

I was reeeeaaallly hoping that they would get along and play nicely together.

I glued them together with some Liquid Nails and spray painted the finial Espresso to match the bottom part.

After it had dried, the entire piece got a coat of Heirloom White American Accents paint.

Then, I roughed it up. Ha! Makes me feel tough when I say that.

Relax, I only used a bit o' sandpaper.

A layer of Ralph Lauren glaze (tinted Old Violin) over the top and then wiped off left it looking "distressed".

I think it looks like it belongs in my home.

Don't know what that says about me though...



Come and check out the following parties that I link too-lots of good stuff there!

14 comments:

rachel said...

I am laughing right now. Your last two posts and my most recent one go hand in hand. We ARE two peas in a pod, you're right. I just wish you lived next door!!!!!!!! Think of all the fun we'd have roughing things up and layering with paint. :)

Kristin said...

SERIOUSLY!!! How on earth do you find time to do this?! I am soooooooo impressed!!!

Rayli said...

you are totally great at all this arts and crafts stuff! How do you have the time for it??? Would love to do these things. Keep posting... love it!

Unknown said...

Wow, those are sooo cool. Love em!

Lisa Howard said...

Ok, that is stinkin' awesome!!! You are my Goodwill hero! I think I'll have to go there today. You are too funny!

Junk Mammas said...

Love this!! Great idea, I may have passed something like this up.

Angie Holden said...

That is GORGEOUS!!!! :) You so need to link that up at Homebody Holly today....she is having a pottery barn knock off part -- this is a GREAT knock off!!

Lisa said...

Looks fantastic! On the lookout now for all the right parts. Thanks for the inspiration.

Lisa

Sarah AKA The Thriftress said...

Looks so sweet! I hope I find something I can use at Goodwill too.

Holly said...

That turned out fantastic...I would have passed up that wood thing at GW! I love the jack too, and I clicked on the photo to enlarge it and look at your family picture. You have a beautiful family!
Thanks for joining my party :)

trish said...

That turned out so good.
I just love that look.
:o) Trish

Unknown said...

Woohoo, that looks awesome! True trash to treasure. So funny that you linked this project to my "aged edition" party! Thanks for linking up.

Anonymous said...

I am a recent member of the DARk side and am addicted!!!

The Lassen Family said...

Love the finial, but especially love the "all in white" photo of your family!! Hoping to have a special reason to have one of those myself :)