Saturday, February 27, 2010

Spook 1994-2010

Corey and I had been married six months when we got our first pets.

Two girl kitties whom we named Shorty and Spook.

One day, I spied them doing "the tango" and though that it was weird. But, I knew they were both female so I really didn't give it any more thought.

When we took them to the vet to have them spayed, and the vet called Spook a "he". I corrected him. And then he laughed at me.

15 years later and Corey still occasionally referred to Spook as "she".

I wonder if it gave the cat a complex.

He was an all black, very long haired kitty with personality.

Someone once told me that he must be Jamaican because his fur balls looked like dreadlocks.

Every year we would have to deal with his enormous fur balls.

One year, instead of taking him in to the vet to have him shaved, I decided to do it myself.

I turned on the clippers, which made a loud buzzing noise, looked down to where Spook had just been, but he was gone.

We didn't see him for several days. He was no dummy.

He would purr at you for scratching him under the chin and then turn around and scratch you.

I think we traumatized him by having all these kids.

He was never a mouser. We once showed him a dead mouse and he ran away from it.

It was a common sight to look out the front window and see raccoons eating from his food dish as he sat several feet away, calmly watching.

We sometime called him a lazy old man.

He was a very social cat and he loved all the attention he would get at Halloween.

He was the perfect accessory to my witch costume.

Most cats would hide on Halloween, but not Spook.

He would sit on the front porch and greet all the trick-or-treaters.

He lived a good life.

He live a long life.

We will miss him.

Spook aka Spookers July 4, 1994-February 27, 2010


Here is a picture of Spookers this last Halloween, laying down on "Neal the Meal"

He loved Halloween, almost as much as me.

3 comments:

rachel said...

Sad. :(

How you holdin up??

Ginger said...

I'm so sorry.

Mom in High Heels said...

Oh, I'm so sorry for your loss. I loved reading about all the little quirks and habits that made Spook wonderful and a part of your family.